A fictitious case study
Radhika and Venkat co-founded an athleisure brand called ‘Limitless’ in 2019, starting with just leggings and shorts. They have grown rapidly and want to launch another product. Can ChatGPT help this small team?
Note: Prompts and answers have been edited for brevity
Prompt: Imagine you are the CEO of an athleisure brand in India which makes only leggings and shorts and has a turnover of less than $1 million. What product would you introduce next and why?
ChatGPT: Introduce sports bras next, because:
- You can up-sell leggings and sports bras sets
- Sports bras have higher price points than leggings or shorts, but use the same materials and processes so production costs are low while profitability increases
Prompt: What were the approximate sales of sports bras in India in 2021?
ChatGPT: As an AI language model, I do not have access to real-time sales data or market reports for sports bras in India in 2021. However, according to a report by ResearchAndMarkets, the sports bra market in India is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 10% during the forecast period 2021-2025. This indicates that there is a significant demand for sports bras in India.
Prompt: Create a survey with only 3 questions to test the idea of launching sports bras
ChatGPT: Here’s a survey to test the idea of launching sports bras
- Have you ever purchased sports bras from an athleisure brand?
- If yes, which athleisure brands do you typically purchase sports bras from? (Select all that apply)
- Under Armour
- Other (Please specify)
- How likely are you to purchase sports bras from an athleisure brand that specializes in leggings and shorts?
- Very likely
- Somewhat likely
- Somewhat unlikely
- Very unlikely
Prompt: Which is the most successful advertising campaign for an athleisure brand in the last five years?
ChatGPT: The “Dream Crazy” campaign for Nike featuring NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who had become a controversial figure for kneeling during the national anthem to protest racial injustice. The ad featured Kaepernick’s face with the words “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.” Despite the controversy, the campaign was highly successful for Nike. It generated a significant amount of buzz and social media engagement and also helped to increase sales for the brand, with Nike’s stock price reaching an all-time high shortly after the campaign launched.
Prompt: Which is the most successful advertising campaign for a small athleisure brand?
ChatGPT: Gymshark’s campaigns have been successful because they have created a community of fitness enthusiasts who share their products and promote the brand through social media, leading to viral growth and increased sales.
Another example of a successful advertising campaign for a smaller athleisure brand is Outdoor Voices. The brand’s “Doing Things” campaign emphasized the importance of being active and enjoying the outdoors, rather than focusing solely on performance or competition. The campaign resonated with its target audience of millennials and Gen Z, who value experiences and authenticity over traditional marketing messages.
Prompt: Which female Instagram influencers has Nike engaged with in India?
ChatGPT: Here are some female influencers Nike has engaged with in India
- Masoom Minawala – @masoomminawala
- Juhi Godambe – @juhigodambe
- Shereen Sikka – @shereenlovebug
- Aashna Shroff – @aashnashroff
- Santoshi Shetty – @santoshishetty
Prompt: Which female influencers would you recommend using in India to promote a sports bra? Answer as the Creative Director of a social media agency
ChatGPT: These influencers have a strong following in the fashion and lifestyle space, and have shown interest in promoting fitness and health-related content.
- Masoom Minawala (@masoomminawala) – Fashion influencer and founder of Style Fiesta with 802k followers on Instagram.
- Juhi Godambe (@juhigodambe) – Fashion and beauty influencer with 503k followers on Instagram.
- Kritika Khurana (@thatbohogirl) – Fashion and lifestyle influencer with 1.1 million followers on Instagram.
- Scherezade Shroff Talwar (@sherryshroff) – Fashion and lifestyle influencer with 743k followers on Instagram.
- Diipa Büller-Khosla (@diipakhosla) – Fashion and travel influencer with 978k followers on Instagram.
- Santoshi Shetty (@santoshishetty) – Fashion and travel influencer with 192k followers on Instagram.
- Malvika Sitlani (@malvikasitlaniofficial) – Beauty and fashion influencer with 524k followers on Instagram.
- Ankita Konwar (@ankita_earthy) – Fitness and lifestyle influencer with 460k followers on Instagram.
- Aashna Shroff (@aashnashroff) – Fashion and lifestyle influencer with 185k followers on Instagram.
- Devina Malhotra (@guiltybytes) – Fashion and lifestyle influencer with 183k followers on Instagram.
Prompt: Imagine you are David Ogilvy. Create a slogan to launch a new sports bra for a brand called Limitless to appeal to millennials
ChatGPT: Here are a few options for a slogan:
- Join the movement
- Make your move
- Get comfortable with being unstoppable
- Push your limit
Prompt: Write a script for an Instagram reel to promote a sports bra in India, which has the slogan ‘Push Your Limit’ Answer as the Creative Director of India’s best ad agency
ChatGPT: As the Creative Director of India’s best ad agency, here is a script for an Instagram reel to promote a sports bra in India who slogan is “Push Your Limit.”
[Scene: A diverse group of women are gathered in a park, stretching and warming up for their workout]
Narrator: “Every woman is unique. We come in different shapes and sizes, with different strengths and weaknesses. But there’s one thing that unites us all – when it comes to limits, we know how to push them”
[Cut to a woman wearing a sports bra, looking determined and focused]
Narrator: “Don’t accept limits. Push them”
[Cut to the other women cheering and encouraging the woman in the sports bra]
Narrator: “Don’t accept limits. Push them. “
[Cut to the slogan: Push Your Limit]
[End with the women continuing their workout, feeling empowered and inspired]
Prompt to Midjourney: A billboard with South Asian women wearing sports bra and leggings.
It took THC’s Anoopa John nearly twenty prompts to get to this image. It was particularly difficult to work with non-white faces.
As of now, generative AI is very useful for paying around with ideas and basic research. It is neither reliable nor imaginative, particularly for Indian use cases. (For example, it added Lululemon to the competitive list in the survey questions, although the brand does not sell in India).
However, there is no getting away from the fact that AI is set to become ubiquitous. It will be part of every tool and product soon. Our advice is to use available AI products often, get familiar with them and track them as they evolve.